Other charities and resources

If we are unable to help, or more help is needed than we can offer alone, you may wish to consider approaching these organisations.

Every local authority in the UK is running a Household Support Fund to support households who are most in need. Please check your local council website and apply directly to them for help with energy bills, food costs and other essentials. In Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland, there are national schemes as well as some localised support.

Support for single items

https://www.familyfund.org.uk/bbc-children-in-need-emergency-essentials-programme The BBC Children in Need Emergency Essentials Programme supports children and young people who are facing exceptionally difficult circumstances. The items are is delivered by Family Fund and their supplier partners.

Search for grants

www.turn2us.org.uk This website provides information on benefit entitlement and other grant giving charities.

www.disability-grants.org This website provides information on charities that provide grants for disabled people.

Other grant providers

www.goodthingsfoundation.org/databank – The National Databank is providing free data to 500,000 people in need via Good Things Foundation’s network of community partners, in partnership with Virgin Media O2, Vodafone and Three.

www.family-action.org.uk Family Action have both welfare and education grant programmes to help address the needs of disadvantaged families and individuals that struggle to afford basic needs and to pursue educational and employment ambitions.

www.familyfund.org.uk The Family Fund gives grants to families raising disabled and seriously ill children aged 17 and under.

www.glasspool.org.uk Glasspool Trust is a UK wide grants giving charity that provide one off grants to individuals.

www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk The British Gas Energy Trust has a particular focus on fuel poverty, helping those who are struggling to pay for their consumption of gas and electricity get back on their feet and remain debt free going forward. In exceptional cases the Trust can also help with other priority household costs and items.

www.fhaonline.org.uk The Family Holiday Association provides holidays for parents and children who experience disadvantage as a result of poverty.

www.actionforkids.org Action for Kids supports young people with physical and learning disabilities through the provision of mobility aids, employability training and family support.

www.caudwellchildren.com Caudwell Children provide equipment, treatment, therapies and family support for disabled children and their families across the UK.

www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/fe.aspx Student Finance – Wales

www.mygov.scot/ema/ Education maintenance allowance – Scotland

www.nidirect.gov.uk Education maintenance allowance – Northern Ireland

www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund 16-19 bursary – England

www.gov.uk/discretionary-learner-support Discretionary learner support – England – the money can help pay for things such as: childcare, accommodation and travel, as well as course materials and equipment.

www.gov.uk/subsidised-college-transport-16-19 Subsidised transport England and Wales

https://www.endfurniturepoverty.org/find-furniture Provide new and pre-loved furniture


Universal Music Sound Foundation grants towards musical instruments for individuals

Youth Music UK a full guide of funders, towards music performance, artistic development or collaboration projects

Other school fee providers

www.educational-grants.org Other charities that may be able to offer support with school fees.

http://www.athlonetrust.com Financial assistance for adopted children with special needs

For children and young people

www.youthaccess.org.uk/our-network/find-help  – find local advice and information for young people aged 11-25
www.studentspace.org.uk – Support through the uncertainty of student life
https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/help-at-hand/ – England Only – If you’re in care, leaving care, living away from home or working with children’s services we can offer you free support, advice and information.

For refugees and asylum seekers

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/get-support/services/infoline/ This freephone Infoline aims to connect refugees and people seeking asylum with detailed information about local specialist support relevant to their particular needs.

Charity registers

www.charitycommission.gov.uk The register of charities in England and Wales.

www.oscr.org.uk The Scottish charities register.

If you have a grant giving charity that you would like to add to this page please contact us.